Saturday, August 04, 2007

Dearest Momsi...I miss you so much


Our mother passed away very suddenly a few days ago, on the 30th of July to be exact. My brother and I are on our way to Nigeria right now, and I decided to post this while we're in the midst of a ten hour layover in Heathrow. We wouldn't be here if wasn't for the amazing generosity and love displayed by our friends who are in every family to us. Thank you all so much for everything all of you have done to enable us to fly back to be with our family in Nigeria. My family and I will never be able to fully express our full gratitude. So many of you sacrificed time and money to help us and, most importantly, your prayers have been what has borne us through this time of shock, sorrow and sadness. Thank you and we love all of you.

I wish all of you would have been able to meet our mother while she was still with us, but I'm comforted in the knowledge that one day you will. I'm sharing a few words I wrote to be placed in the program for my mother's funeral this Saturday below. For once, words did not flow as I wish they would but I still hope what you read will give you an inkling of what an amazing mother Rifkatu Patience Kore was and is.

If I'm able to provide updates here while we're in Nigeria I will. If not we look forward to seeing most of you after we return, Lord willing, on the 11th.

She sleeps. My mother sleeps. She sleeps the sleep of the righteous; she sleeps the sleep of one beloved by God. My mother was the epitome of the woman described in Proverbs 31—we had full confidence in her, she brought good to those who knew her, her hands were always diligent, her heart warm, her table covered with delicious food, her smile welcoming, her mind engaging, her laugh infectious, her compassion astounding.

My mother sleeps. She sleeps the sleep of a daughter at peace in the arms of her Father; she sleeps the content sleep of one who has finished a race run well. Our mother rejoices with those who have gone before her, reunited with so many she loves. This beautiful woman, this wondrous wife and magnificent mother, has been ushered into the presence of her Maker and now abides in the place of perfect Peace, unconditional Love and unsurpassed Joy.

I miss you mother, I miss you so much but I take comfort in the knowledge that you live on in our hearts; that your love for us was the fierce love of a mother who wishes for nothing but success for her children; that your passion for life and for others continues to shine before us as a beacon to light our way; that your desire to know Jesus each day has become an example for all of us to live by.

So mother, we bid you farewell with hearts heavy with sorrow and yet filled with the hope of a Joy we will one day feel when time has tempered pain and we can once again can laugh as we reminisce over the days we were privileged to have you in our midst. Rest assured when we remember you we will always echo these words found in Proverbs:

Her children arise and call her blessed;
Her husband also, and he praises her:
“Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all.”

We will meet again one day but until then may my path, indeed, may the path of all of us who have been touched by you, be a testimony to how you lived your life on earth—to bring glory to our Savior.

I love you Mama.

Your son,
Weykyoi Victor

7 comments:

D said...

Brother, I am so sorry! I wish I could be there with you. Jill and I will be praying for you.

Jo said...

Victor, I am so sad to read this news. From the picture and words you posted, it is clear what a beautiful woman your mother was, inside and out. You and Jireh will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Joey

shiz said...

I'm praying for your guys. I hope you have a peaceful time at home.

Rahab

THREADS said...

Vic, we were/are deeply saddened to hear of your loss. Please know that you have been in our prayers. They are for your peace in the midst of this time and for a balm to soothe your soul.

Michael & Erika

studiosmith said...

Vic

I heard the news a few hours ago and although I was shocked and concerned initially as would be expect, I am happy now. Happy because I know more about this Godly mother of yours thanks to your transparency and empathy - even at such a moment. Your words and sharing are worship and I thank you. Please know right now that Janel and I are praying for you and your bro as you grieve, celebrate and have responsibilities at the service on Saturday. May God continue to guide you and work in and through you at this most difficult time. I love you Vic and I really appreciate your friendship.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Victor. Your brothers and sisters at Tyndale are praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Jodie and I were so very sad to hear about your loss. We wish that we could be there to express our sympathy but know that both you and Jireh are heavy on our hearts. We love the both of you and hope that you are doing well. I've heard so much about your mother through the years but, until I read your blog entry following the funeral, I never realized what a great lady she truly was. Thanks for sharing some of your mother's life with me and the others who have read this. Call if you need nything or if you just want to talk.

Jeff & Jodie